Cakewalk Instrument Definitions

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
makothedog

Post by makothedog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:25 pm

I own a roland XP80 and I am having problems with one set of instrument definition. The performance set does not match the patches on my keyboard. If you select the number of the performance to match knowing that the name doesn't match up you get a completely different sound. The patches and rhythms are fine. I think it is a little weird. I also have a jp 8000 by roland and haven't seen that problem with those defs.

Can it be possible that performances can be altered ( i know they can ) and then the instruments definitions are based off of what has been changed?

If not does anybody know how to create the instrument definitions. I have been to cakewalk.net and downloaded some programs that I thought would be useful.

INSMAKER seemed like it could do the job but only works with the certain types of keyboards that the designer has chosen ( the jp 8000 being one ).

INSXTRACT I just can't figure out. It come with zero instructions or help topics. I thought that maybe a program like SYSEX would allow me to do a bulk dump and then maybe INSXTRACT would be able to work. We will see it might not be able to.

I have found maybe 2 to 3 xp defs and in all of them the performances are different. Maybe I should try the xp 60 and 50 and see what comes up.

If anybody has any suggestions they would be warmly received!

Thanks in advances

Mako

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:48 am

Mako.....I also have an xp 80.....I'm not really up on all of this stuff yet,but here's what happens to me....In the midi setting,I can only record from the GM bank....if I want to use any of the other banks I have to record in audio....using the local on/off

Gary

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:02 am

That is interesting. I am able to record all of my patches and rhythm patches ( if you want to call them that ) using Midi and then if I want to change to audio I can do so. But the performances I can only go straight audio because of the problem I have mentioned. I am going to try to play around with it this weekend and see if I can make any progress. If by chance I can figure it out I will post a reply. I can email you a copy if you are interested. I will say that would be a complete drag only to be able to use the General MIDI patches. I think my prob with pops is some sort of static from my little mixing board and a possible fine tuning of the latency settings. I am almost there but I have said that too many times before.

Thanks,

Mako

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:23 pm

Mako,

Hmmmm...I wonder if I am doing something wrong being the rookie I am....I can only acess the GM bank on midi.....I'm going to fool around with it tonight

thanks
Gary

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:54 pm

Cakewalk comes with GM midi as a default. If you don't set the insrument defs for each patch you want to record you could easily be recording just GM sounds even if you are trying to play something else. The XP 80 has GM as part of its patch group but with the proper inst. defs. you should be able to access them all. It really isn't that hard. Do you have the inst. defs for the XP 80? I think I have 3 copies only because of the performance problem that I have. But I am still able to access all of the patches and rhythms. I like midi but I also like just audio at times. The advantage of midi is pure digital sounds and less hard drive space taken up. Hard drive doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore. Also, Midi will notate everything. You can actually change mistakes that you might have made when recording by clicking and draging the note where you might really want it on the stave. It isn't as organic as pure audio but you are working with the computer anyway :D .

Let me know if you understand inst defs. I can write back with some instructions that you might be able to use. They are not complicated to install. I can either email you what I have or provide a link for a web site if you don't already have them.

I was able to bulk dump and create inst. defs yesterday, hurray. However, I can't seem to be able to dump everything. I can only dump the user group :cry: I can't figure out how to dump everything. If I could I think I would be able to solve my problem with the performances. Rolands owner's manual stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!