midi notes disappearing in Sonar

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
tedspears

Post by tedspears » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:46 am

i seem to have a strange problem ( or maybe not ) . i'm currently using Sonar 3 . i recorded a midi track of a chord that was supposed to sustain over a span of about 8 to 10 measures . the midi information shows up just fine ( in track view and in piano roll view ) . for some reason , about 3 bars in , the notes stop even though there is obviously midi data still there in view . i tried several different things , but nothing seemed to work . the midi was used to trigger Kontakt 2 which i placed in an audio track . i don't know if the information is in the midi path ? i'm assuming it i s because Kontakt seems to work just fine . i should also say that i'm using an old MMT8 step sequencer to enter midi information , but this hasn't given me any problems before . thanks for any help ....

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:43 am

Difficult one that.

I would say that it is probably due to no sustain midi data being sent in between the on and off instructions of the note.

There are a couple of way to address this. The first would be to use a sustain pedal at the time of imput if you are using a midi controller keyboard.

Second you could add pedal markers in the staff view on the track. Just click on the P button at the top of the staff view and it will insert a pair of markers, pedal on and pedal off. Just drag them to the points you want them.

Third you could add a sustain envelope. Right click the track > Envelopes > Create Track envelope > MIDI. In the dialogue box that appears set the three values to Controller, 64-sustain and the channel number of the midi track. This will then insert the envelope on the track view for you to shape how you want to.

Have a look at those things and see if they help at all. If not post back and we'll look at something else.

tedspears

Post by tedspears » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:59 am

thanks , i'll try it tomorrow and see what happens ... it's a start ! i'll let you know either way .

tedspears

Post by tedspears » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm

okay ... sorry for the late response . i added the pedal markers and it seems to have solved the problem . thanks much ! just seems weird that i never had thios problem before . well , hopefully if this keeps working , then i won't complain . thanks again .

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Glad it's sorted :wink: