cracks and pops in the track

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
makothedog

Post by makothedog » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:06 pm

Hi All!

I don't know what the problem is, but when I record straight audio using sonar 2.0xl I am getting an infrequent crack and pop in the track that I just recorded. It sounds like static. I am using an M audio 2496 audiocard.

I have played with the latency setting with in Sonar and the Maudio control panel. I will say that some settings sound better than others, but the pops just keep coming back. It is real frustrating. Everytime I make progress something like this always seems to occur.

I don't think I have an IRQ conflict. I did notice that my ethernet card shares the same number as my audio card. Could that be a problem? I don't need the ethernet card, the computer is strictly for music.

I haven't tried to record a midi an covert it to audio yet but I think that the problem would still occur. I am having a problem with instrument defs. I guess that is why I am using audio at the moment.

If anybody has dealt with this problem or has any insite into this problem I would sure appriciate some input into this matter.

Thank to all who reply!!!

Mako

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:33 am

I well could be the ethernet card or some piece of software running in the back ground like AV or task scheduling. Ctrl alt and del and see what is running and shut down everything you don't need.

Also check out your environment to make sure you have nothing like fidges or central heating/air condition thermostats clicking on and off. Try switching these things off whilst you record.

Try making sure you soundcard is in a slot with nothing either side of it like graphics or modems.

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:19 pm

Thanks, I will try all those things mentioned. It seems like the problem only occurs during straight audio recording. I could be recording to hot. I am not 100% sure but I think it is static from equipment. However, It doesn't do consistantly just here and there. If I record just midi and then convert everything is fine. I did get some successful recordings after I posted my message.

With my midi inst, Def. Problem it just makes it frustrating, but hey what can you do.

Thanks for the insight,

Mako

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:39 am

Mako.....I ve given a lot of thought to your noise problem....I think somebody is hiding in your studio with a hot mike and a bowl of rice crispies.

:D

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:50 am

I never gave that one much thought. :D

That was good Gary. But what think it is is a gremlin eating a bowl of rice crispies with a hot mic. :lol:

If all my problems with computer music went away I would think that there is some sort of problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Mako

GaryD

Post by GaryD » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:17 pm

yeah I hear that.....plenty of problems and chalanges to overcome...but there's great support and it's a good system. . I did a lot of recording with a TEAC reel to reel back in the 70's. That was a real drag....took forever between takes,noisey as hell,tape dropouts,no midi. Glad those days are over,for me anyways.

watch out for those gremlins

Gary

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:34 pm

Yeah, I bet! I guess no system is without its problems. It seems to me just when I think that I am done and have figured everything out something new crops up. It never fails.

You know Sonar 3 is out and it is supposed to be completely different. I can't wait. I would like to think that some of these issues might be solved with the newer version. We will see. I thought Sonar was an improvement over pro audio 9.

Vertigo50

Post by Vertigo50 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:58 pm

Do you have a VIA motherboard? They're notoriously bad about pops and crackles with audio. Download the latest 4-in-1 drivers at www.viaarena.com if you do. If you're not sure, post your motherboard up here and I'll look it up for you.

Also, can you plug something else directly into your sound card and record without the pops? (Like a cassette player or something simple)
Then you'll know if it's your equipment.

Dino

Post by Dino » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:27 pm

Hey Mako just wondering if you ever resolved your crackle and pop problem. The same thing is happening to me. If you could let me know, I would appreciatte it. Thanks !