Can't Record Midi Data

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:49 pm

CW2002 HS / Audiophile 2496 / WinXP

I'm having big problems recording midi tracks in CW HS2002. I get the VSC DXi up and running, I get the Piano view up and working, all plays fine, selecting different patches. Can I record any of it? No. The audio track records silence because the midi track isn't recording what's being done on the virtual piano, despite being able to hear it, and despite the vu volume meter on the audio track clearly responding to what's being played on the piano. The midi track won't record any of the data.

Possible problems: The VSC DXi isn't selected as an input in the OPTIONS-MIDI DEVICES-INPUTS dialogue box. But this is because it doesn't show up as a device to be selected in this box, so I cannot select it as an input.

I've also ticked the 'Use MME Drivers' checkbox in OPTIONS-AUDIO-ADVANCED'. Still no change. All drivers are selected everywhere!

I've also tried to make sure the VSC is properly installed, and I think (not 100% sure) it is. How would I definitively check this? Do need to?

Thanks for even the tiniest bit of help.

Vinny

tedspears

Post by tedspears » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 am

ahhh , yes .. i have the same problem . i'm using Sonar 3 , and when i try to dump my midi file to an audio file , nothing gets recorded . i set everything up as it says in the manual , but i'm getting silence .

i'm currently using a Indigo Echo IO card . i don't know if this is the problem or not ....

tedspears

Post by tedspears » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:15 am

Vinny , try this ... after several hours of " dicking " around something happened . i know you're not using Sonar , but try this and see if it works . select the Midi track . go to Edit and choose [i]Bounce To Clip . [/i] okay , after this , choose [i] Bounce to Track .[/i] pick the track ( an open audio track ) and Voila ! ... i don't know if this will always work , but right now it seems to be working for me . try it out . if anyone has a reason why we can't do it under the default Midi to Audio configurations please let me know ...

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:30 pm

I always remember a bit of a bug with the bounce feature in S2 & 3.

One of the things to look out for is not to have any track selected, just solo the midi tracks and the tracks with you synth on then it bounces down first time.

I never could undersatnd why but I got into the habit of clicking in the empty area of the track pane everytime just before I went to the edit menu.

As for your problem Vinny are you arming the midi track to record or the audio track. You have to arm the midi track for the midi data to be recorded. The audio track with the VSC is just so you can hear what you are playing. Once you have recorded the midi data then just bounce it to audio as above.