Strange home studio 2002/2004 problem

Use this forum for all technical issues.
CoF_DJX

Post by CoF_DJX » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:44 pm

I have cakewalk pro audio 9, home studio 2002 and home studio 2004 XL. My pro audio 9 works fine for both midi and audio. My 2 home studios dont work with audio. When you playback an audio file in home studio the sound is all jumpy and this slows the audio track down...hence going out of sync with the midi tracks. Everything is set up the same as in pro audio 9. Very strange. Can you suggest anything? My system is a Pentium 4 2.8ghz w/1024mb ddr ram, c-media CMI8738 sound card (have also tried soundblaster 128 sound card, same problem) I have checked for conflicts, swapped pci ports and changed the pci latency timing in the bios but to no avail. Thanks if you can help

James Peters

Post by James Peters » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:45 pm

First, if these are pirated versions, you can expect problems. I'm not saying they are, but the fact you have three different versions of the software sort of leads me in that general direction. I'm not here to judge, but just being straightforward.

Anyway since Cakewalk PA9, it now has an updated "sound system" I guess you could say, how it uses your audio hardware. Look through your manual for information on ASIO, WDM and MME drivers, and how to choose/configure them. That should be your first step. Secondly, something tells me your different software versions aren't truly all set up the same. Aside from the types of drivers you're using, you'll want to check your buffering settings, bit depth, sample rate, how many inputs and outputs are active--there's more too, but it escapes me at the moment.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:55 pm

Can't really understand why you are bothering with PA 9 now that it is so old. The audio engine in HS and Sonar is far superior now. Set up HS2004 and just use that one. They all do the same thing, just the later versions do it better.