emailing

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
GaryD

Post by GaryD » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:46 pm

Ok....my cakewalk studio/computer is in my basement w/no internet.
The internet hookup is on a different computer w/windows 98
How do I get the music files from one to another?

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:04 pm

Do you have CD burners on both computers? If you do I would just copy your files on a dedicated CD that is for that purpose and transfer data that way. I guess you really only need one burner. That would be on the computer that you are recording on unless you want to edit your work and take it down to the other computer. That is a lot of walking :D .

I was using that method yesterday.

I guess the next thing you could do is connect the 2 computers together and file share that way. I am not sure how to do that.

I have 2 computers with the same problem. One of them is for the internet the other is for computer music. For example, if I ever want to email some a sample of what I am doing I have to save to disk and then transfer it to the other computer so that I can send it.

You know if you have broadband you can get a router and split your connection to two computers. If that is what you are looking to do.

Good luck!

Mako

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:07 pm

Wireless lan. It is so cheap now. This machine I am on is in the living room. The main PC is in my son's room, second floor. His has the cable connection. I use a Linksys Wireless LAN to connect to his machine and to the cable modem. You might want to investigate this solution.

An added plus, the Linksys Router has a firewall, so I feel really protected.

MikeN

Post by MikeN » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:29 pm

I have the same problem - no internet at home. Easily solved by a small USB removable drive.

Cheers

Mike

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:37 pm

Thats the option I would go for, a USB storage device. That way you can scan it each time you download anything off the internet onto it and keep your DAW squeaky clean.

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:30 pm

One more opton would be Smart Media Card, the 128 MB card can hold a lot of material.

emailing

Post by emailing » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:57 pm

So much for that problem

Thanks Guys :D