MP3 Encoder

Use this forum for all technical issues.
Old Rocker

Post by Old Rocker » Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 pm

Are there any UK users of GT3 PRO out there who know how to renew the Cakewalk MP3 Encoder as the trial version has now finished. That's a bit cheeky Cakewalk having paid good money for the prog in the first place !
thanks...

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon May 22, 2006 10:43 am

Unless you are prepared to pay to unlock it or already own CWPA9 then you have only one option and that is to use another one. One of the best free ones available is LAME.

Download and install the lame 3.96.1 from here

Instructions:
Open Cakewalk Program and go to Tools -> Cakewalk Ext. Encoder Config.
In the Friendly Name Field write: Lame Mp3 Encoder.
In the Extension field write: .mp3
In the Description field write whatever you want.
In the Path field write the path where the Lame encoder is located. That is where lame.exe and lame_enc.dll are located. I keep my Lame encoder in my C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Lame Folder or (copy and past the extracted zip file to your Sonar shared utilities folder and then when you have to perform this step, click the browse button to find the location.
In the Command Line field write: lame -b 192 -m j %I %O
Press Save button.
Uncheck Keep Wave File.

This will export to a 192Kbps, joint stereo mp3 file. If you want 128Kbps, replace 192 with 128 in the Command Line field. The next time you click on File->Export->Audio in SONAR 3, 4, 5 you'll find 'Lame mp3 encoder' as a type of audio.

These instructions actually relate to Sonar but should work for any cakewalk program built round the same audio engine.

I have never had to do this because I paid for a professional encoder years ago so I stick with that. I hope it works for you.