help

Use this forum for all technical issues.
bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:27 am

i was using a tascam us122 interface for a while and now i'm back to just a cheap mic through my soundcard. i forgot how to change the settings in the properties to recognize the souncard instead of the tascam. plus all my tracks are highlighted in yellow. i guess thats because i haven't changed the settings. when i go into trackproperties the dropdown list only shows midi stuff. i was only doing audio tracks. i'm up the creek without a boat. help!

bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 pm

actually i have the exact same problem as nikko,(option for audio source gone, everything now midi.) so answer him and help me too!

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:19 am

First thing to do is see whther the drivers are appearing in Sonar.

Go to the options menu > Audio > Drivers Tab. If the drivers are listed there then make sure they are selected, go back to the general Tab and run the wav profilor. They should then appear in the playback and recording master boxes. If you are using ASIO drivers then there will be no need to run they wave profikor, they will just appear one selected in the drivers tab.

If the drivers do not appear then start from the beginning to check why. If it is an on board sound chip make sure it is enabled in the bios and that windows detects it and it shows up correctly in the control panel.

If it is a soundcard in PCI slot make sure it is seated in the slot properly and windows detects it when it boots up. Make sure the correct drivers are installed for it.

If you think it might be a driver problem then I suggest using the ASIO4ALL drivers. Once you have these installed they should appear in the drivers tab of the audio options. Make sure you select ASIO drivers in the advanced tab and you should be fine.

The ASIO4ALL drivers should give you slightly better performance than you generic drivers so I would suggest using them anyway.

Please post back to lets us know how you get on. If it solves the problem, great, if not then we 'll look for something else.

bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:36 pm

thanks andy that solved it. i never got as far as the wave profiler before. the drivers were showing up in options/audio/drivers but evidently they weren't highlighted or selected which was only taking me that far so i couldn't get the playback and record master dropdowns to show the drivers. i was stuck in a constant loop of the same mistake. i might have figured it out by christmas on my own! thanks a million.

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Your Welcome :D

I would recommend the ASIO4ALL drivers though if you want lower latency. The good thing is that if they don't work for you then they are easily deleted because the just piggyback on your windows drivers but speed things up quite a lot.

Glad you got it sorted.

bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:22 pm

o.k i downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers into my system now how do i get them to show up in cakewalk? i've messed around in there some but nothing.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:42 am

You run the installation of ASIO4All, which I take it you have done.

Start Sonar and goto to Options > Audio > Advanced tab and select ASIO as you drivers from the small drop down box. Exit the Audio properties and restart Sonar.

When restarted go pack in the Audio options and select the drivers tab, this time you should see the ASIO drivers listed and already selected.

Back on the general page of the audio properties you will see the latency you have next to the long slider. This needs to be under 20ms to make things such as softsynths playable live. If it is over 20ms click the button marked ASIO Panel and adjust the samples buffer to a lower figure. Exit the ASIO panel and exit the audio properties and then go back in again, you should see the latency figure has dropped.

Get the latency as low as you can but without getting any crackles, pops or dropouts in your audio when you play or record. As soon as you experience those raise the latency a bit until they disappear, it's a fine balancing act.

bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:47 am

first i'm using pro audio 9, don't know if that makes a difference. when i go to options/audio/advanced it shows data directory and under it is picture directory. the asio is in the drop down of both but it is preceeded by c:\program files. i did like you said but when i restarted asio wasn't in the drivers dropdown, only my old driver showed. i get a message can't locate missing file c:\program files\asio4allv2\rc1hea253.wav. do you wish to locate it? i click yes and i get a window that says asio4all v2 at the top and at the bottom, file name: RC1hea253 and under that,files of type:wave files(.wave)
when i open it i get a message RC1hea253.wav file not found, the verify the correct file name was given. thats where i am. i really appreciate all the help and if i have to i'll stick with the drivers i have. i just thought it would be easy to download these.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:15 am

Now I see the problem, PA9 doesn't support ASIO drivers so that rules that out as being of any use to you.(never thought to ask what you where using). No wonder you were finding what I said a bit confusing :D

Well at least you got your WDM drivers working.

PA9 is now so old it is even surpassed by Cakewalk's most basic package which is Music Creator, only 30 of our British pounds, might be worth looking at an upgrade.

bobaraba

Post by bobaraba » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:01 pm

well thanks again andy, you really helped me alot and taught me just as much. at least i know a little something now and am able to do something. i got this pro audio 9 for next to nothing and it serves my purposes for now. i'm really at the basic level and just getting my feet wet. i've been playing guitar much longer than recording. i come from the old reel to reel, sound on sound days and this digital stuff is a little more complex. thanks again. robert