Discovered a way to make accurate selections!!!!!

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
GrannyBSexy

Post by GrannyBSexy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:04 pm

I don't know why it works this way, and if anyone knows why PLEASE explain it to me...

I discovered that there is infact a way to make accurate selections with your mouse in Sonar....by 1) creating a new blank file, 2) inserting midi tracks, and then 3) inserting Audio tracks....and for some reason, doing things in this sequence and this sequence alone will allow you to accurately select things with your mouse, and move the transport line to accurate positions.

Why on earth does it work this way?

andychap

Post by andychap » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:14 am

Probably when you try to select in a midi file it will snap to the nearest position with the note duration you have set ie if the input is a quarter note it will snap to one of 4 places in the bar.

With audio there are no snap to values because it is one continuous stream of data. So with the audio being the last track inserted it will still be selected and you can set the pointer to any variable position on the ruler.

If you want to make variable selections in a midi file make sure the snap to grid feature is turned off or set the note value very small so that there are plenty of snap points in each bar.

Does that make sense, it's the only way that I can explain it :D

Granny B Sexy

Post by Granny B Sexy » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:40 am

Actaully, I'm finding that I'm able to snap onto any individual "tick" or whatever those are called...I should look into that...so for example I can use my mouse to select between 1:01:121 to 1:01:122 if I want to. In time-measure speak, I beleive that would be called a "one nine-hundred-and-sixtieth note", which last time I checked, wasn't what my....what?....was set to. Wow, I suck at learning.

Does this really fit into your theory? I don't think it does....

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:49 am

GrannyBSexy wrote:I don't know why it works this way, and if anyone knows why PLEASE explain it to me...

I discovered that there is infact a way to make accurate selections with your mouse in Sonar....by 1) creating a new blank file, 2) inserting midi tracks, and then 3) inserting Audio tracks....and for some reason, doing things in this sequence and this sequence alone will allow you to accurately select things with your mouse, and move the transport line to accurate positions.

Why on earth does it work this way?