Sysex problem

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
lAbArYnth

Post by lAbArYnth » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:59 pm

Sometimes when I open a .mid file in cakewalk and play, the drum track plays a patch other than drums. If I then load a different file the drum track plays the same weird patch and every file after that until I restart the program which then rectifies the problem.
I have been told that this relates to sysex.
Can somebody advise me on this, The manual does not give me much joy!!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:02 pm

The drum tracks must always be played on channel 10. Sysex data does transmit these types of message but normally channel allocation is set in the normal midi data. If the midi files have been created or saved in a non standard format this is often the problem.

When you load the midi files allocate different channels to all the instruments making sure that the drums are on 10. Save the file and try reopening it, if it doesn't open with all the new channels allocated then you will have to insert patch changes at the beginning of each track making sure that different channels are allocated.

Andy

Brian D

Post by Brian D » Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:10 pm

Try Via gra! Oh...sysex. :oops: I thought you were stuttering. Sorry. :? :wink:

lAbArYnth

Post by lAbArYnth » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:13 pm

Took your advise BD.
But the only joy I got was the strange "patch' at the end of my "track"

seriously though, often I edit a midi file in cakewalk, save it as a .wrk and when I reload it, the sound of the various tracks have differed. And yes, the drum track is always 10.