Problem with Sonar installer and Direct X 9.0b?

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Delameko

Post by Delameko » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:03 pm

(This isn't actually a beginners question, but there seems to be more people here...)

I recently upgraded my system and brought a new system drive. I soon as I installed Win XP Pro I went onto Windows Update and got everything up-to-date, including Direct-X 9.0b.

Now I'm trying to reinstall Sonar 2.0 XL, but everytime it starts it says 'Direct X 8.1 was not detected on your system' then it proceeds to try and install DX8 and ends.

Anyone else know of this problem?
Anyone know of a way to bypass the Direct-X check (maybe via command prompt...)?

Delameko

Post by Delameko » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:05 pm

Sorry, to varify:

"...but everytime the installer starts it says 'Direct X 8.1 was not detected on your system' then it proceeds to try and install DX8 and ends."

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:46 pm

If the Installer has installed Sonar try running Sonar itself.

An old Direct X will not normally attempt to install over a more up to date version, ie 8 will spot 9 is installed and not install over the top of it.

Try running the Sonar itself, it may work if its installed

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:57 pm

You can solve this problem by opening regedit by clicking on run on the start menu and typeing in regedit
in the directory structure on your left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX

Double click on version in the right hand panel and copy the value to a text editor or write it down

replace the value with 4.08.01.0810

run the setup program
cakewalk sonar should install

after installation goback to the registry editor and change the value back to the number it was before. this will probably be something like 4.09.00.0900 but may be different depending on when you downloaded directx 9.0

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:55 pm

If you go to the Cakewalk site in the support section you will find a patch to sort this problem out.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:02 am

Delameko wrote:(This isn't actually a beginners question, but there seems to be more people here...)

I recently upgraded my system and brought a new system drive. I soon as I installed Win XP Pro I went onto Windows Update and got everything up-to-date, including Direct-X 9.0b.

Now I'm trying to reinstall Sonar 2.0 XL, but everytime it starts it says 'Direct X 8.1 was not detected on your system' then it proceeds to try and install DX8 and ends.

Anyone else know of this problem?
Anyone know of a way to bypass the Direct-X check (maybe via command prompt...)?

makothedog

Post by makothedog » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:12 pm

I have had that problem with windows 98se. Once you download directx 9 it becomes part of your operating system. Sonar's 8.1 can't overwrite it. I do have another computer with XP on it and didn't have a problem loading Sonar on it.

What I did was reformat my hard disk and reinstalled my operating system and then tried to install Sonar and it worked. I was able to get rid of directx 9 that way. Be careful when you go to microsoft looking for upgrades that is what happend to me. I think Andy Capp suggestion is right on. I spent a lot of time reformatting my computer only to find the solution at Cakewalk's web site "www.cakewalk.com". Now if cakewalk's solution doesn't work then you have a back up plan. No pun intended! :D

Mako

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:06 pm

I recieved sonar 2.0XL from a friend and can not install it and stated above the direct 8.1 deal. I have the two patches to update sonar to 2.2, But what to do? If I can't install it how can I up date it? My question is can I install the updates first? I don't want to do a reinstall of the Operating System as I had a devil of a time installing Roxio EZ Cd creator and all the head aches it caused! There has to be a way. So if anyone has figured out a solution PLEASE POST! :cry:
PS, O/S is XP

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:03 am

If you go to the Cakewalk site via the following link and follow the instruction there, you will be able to install your Cakewalk product.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/DX9.ASP

The registry edit above also works, don't be frightened of doing anything in the registry. Make sure you set a restore point before you start and any changes you make, write down the original values first so you can change them back.

Andy

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:05 pm

Thanks Andy! :)
Thanks for the link Andy, I downloaded the Patch and will give it a try tonight, I'm sure it will work, as You are so savy with this stuff.
Have A Great Week!
CC

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:41 am

The Direct X Fix works! :D
I also know that the registry edit suggested by the Guest Works also!

Sonar Is really different and it looks like I have allot of reading to do lol.
Not to mention pushing buttons! :P

Ta Ta
CC

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:51 am

That's it now you have Sonar you will never see the light of day in the real world again :D

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:05 pm

Guest wrote:You can solve this problem by opening regedit by clicking on run on the start menu and typeing in regedit
in the directory structure on your left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX

Double click on version in the right hand panel and copy the value to a text editor or write it down

replace the value with 4.08.01.0810

run the setup program
cakewalk sonar should install

after installation goback to the registry editor and change the value back to the number it was before. this will probably be something like 4.09.00.0900 but may be different depending on when you downloaded directx 9.0

Mad Max

Post by Mad Max » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:17 am

I've gotten Sonar 2 XL to install but now it is telling me that I have no MIDI output devices. When I go into options/MIDI Devices only the microsoft MIDI mapper is shown. The end result is that there is no sound comming from my MIDI files. The demo version of Fruity Loops shows the Microsoft GS wavetable SW Synth as its output device. I went into the control panel and check was the default in the MIDI music playback selection under sounds. the device is working properly and works fine in Fruity Loops. The synth doesn't even show as an option in the output device selection in cakewalk.

What gives?

Mad Max

flojo

Post by flojo » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:58 pm

HI,
I just upgraded from pro audio 9 to sonar 3--I am currently using a delta 66 soundcard with a mackie mixer for playback--my problem is that I cant get any sound out of it. I have tried all the outputs available and
can see the meters moving but hear nothing. It also seems that the meters only move when I have selected "delta 66 multichannel".

any suggestions out there?

thanks,
flojo