importing drums and a bass

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
tom131

Post by tom131 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:53 pm

Hi:

I am pretty new and getting comfortable recording gtr and vx. So far so good. I have two questions. Is there a quicker way to set up drum loops? Do you have to add one measure at a time? Can you set up 6 or 8 bars and then repeat this section? How?

Are there any pre- loaded bass sounds I can access in cakewalk without a mdi controller Keyboard. Can I apply bass with the piano roll? What is the best way to get a bass going without the real thing? can you play it on gtr and then transpose to bass?

Not usre if this stuff is covered in the manual.

Tom

andychap

Post by andychap » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:12 pm

If you are using Sonar then you can use Session Drummer, you will find this in midi effects. It is quite straight forward to use. I don't know if it comes with other Cakewalk products.

As far as bass goes I play it in on the keyboard and edit it in the piano roll.

Have you thought of using something like Band in a Box. It is designed to give musicians a backing band they can play along with. You can export these backing tracks to midi and then open them up in Cakewalk and edit to your hearts content. It might look a bit cheap and tacky but it can produce very good results and has a lot of features.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm

It is well worth looking out for older versions of this program they often end up in bargain bins in computer music shops.

KeyboardJohn

Post by KeyboardJohn » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:54 am

If you are using Sonar there is a plug in called Looper,there is a selection of bass loops for you to copy into your midi track,although the selection is limited,it could get you started.
John.