Overcoming Latency?????

The place for general discussion of Cakewalk Pro Audio.
Granny B Nasty

Post by Granny B Nasty » Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:22 pm

Can someone please tell me this:

Is it possible to multitrack on Sonar without actually having that latency issue? Does anyone here have a solution to this problem?

Pootle

Post by Pootle » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:50 am

Can you give us a bit more info? Soundcard & plug-ins you are using etc.?

Emma

Granny B Nasty

Post by Granny B Nasty » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:18 pm

:shock: Emma Grenville-Wood? Is that you? Probably not....oh well. :(

:wink: Anyhoo, I am plugging directly into my soundcard, and monitoring directly through the card (not through the software). I can monitor in real-time, but when I record there is roughly a 1:01:039 delay....but the exact number is hard to pinpoint at times.

I have heard that some people switch the settings on the soundcard so you're actually set to monitor through the software, but instead you monitor through an external desk, so there's no delay....and then supposedly you're able to record real-time that way...with no actual latency at all? Is this true?

Do you have a no-latency recording solution that you use with Sonar?

Thanks for the help.
:D

Granny B Nasty

Post by Granny B Nasty » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:37 pm

Ok, so the answer to my question is: Yes, infact, you can achieve zero-latency recording if you use an external mixing board and monitor off of that. :D

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:28 pm

Having an external mixing board will not nessesarily solve your problem. If you are having latency issues the things you should be looking at are:

1- Is your system configured properly. Run the wave profiler, examine your cache settings and be sure that your sound card drivers are current.

2- How much free harddrive space do you have? Is the drive 7200+ RPM? How well maintained is the disck (defragged, etc...), especially if it's older.

3- How much ram does your system have and what is the clock speed?

I ran ProAudio 7 on a 233Mhz PII with 128 megs of ram and a 6.4 gig drive for a long time without any serious latency issues (especially not 1+ minutes!). Sounds like you need to tune up your (or invest in a new) system.

Try surfing around for some tuning tips. I am hesistant to post any becasue you haven't said what OS you'r running and I don't want to send you to a page that is of no use. Please provide more system info.

Good Luck!