recording multiple guitar tracks

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
manic

Post by manic » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:18 pm

hi all

have got a little problem with CWHS which im using mainly for laying down guitar tracks, the problem is once i have the first track and want to record a solo over it i get both tracks playing on the second track, this isnt to bad with 2 or 3 tracks but the more tracks i add the more the sound gets distorted and gives a kinda flange effect, i need a way of turnin down the volume on the tracks playin so that they are not picked up by the channel that is armed , but i still need to hear it to play in time

could be just me i know but any help would be excellent

Cheers :o)

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:39 pm

Hi, manic i had a similar problem, if you looked thru the posts you might have found an answer..I take it that you are using your line in, or mic in
on your pc ? go into your soundcard mixer recording properties and make sure that your appropriate input is checked wheather it be line in, mic in,
not your wave in mix.
go ahead and record your first track.. then when you record your next track make sure that the solo button is not on in your first track
and that should keep all of your tracks separated
-Stratman

jchappj

Post by jchappj » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Well along the same thread I recently purchased CW2002 but haven't received it yet. Will be able to record and edit each instrument separately from the others? Like if I record the bass, save the file and send it to a buddy, can he add the guitar on a separate track? That would let us edit each track separately as we see fit. Thanks for the help for this ovious noob! :lol:

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:10 pm

Yes, it is possible to send the track to your buddy
but the only thing that comes to mind is if you are planning on sending your file via email and your tracks are a wave file they may be to large to send them that way.. you may need to convert your wave file to an mp3 format first then have your buddy reconvert it back to wave..using "cool mp3" or some other similar converter. I have never tried it myself but it should work. If anyone else has tred this or has a better way please post
I'll give it a try and let you know how it works
-Stratman

jchappj

Post by jchappj » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:09 pm

Great! Thanks Strat.

Stratman

Post by Stratman » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:03 pm

well, jc this is what i came up with, yes it works ..but your gonna need to convert and reconvert the tracks separatly from each other if you dont the tracks will be together on the conversion back to wave but as a left and right output.. you wont be able to remix them individually.. send and convert them 1 by 1 and import and export the same .. i know it sounds a little time consuming but it does work, Good Luck !
-Stratman

manic

Post by manic » Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:11 pm

thanks strat

kinda looked at the previous posts after i posted, doh!!! lol

turns out it was down to my recording properties in xp (line in not selected properly), now its running fine.

just a matter of actually comin up with somethin that sounds good now i guess lol

am luvin this forum though, wish id found it sooner

Thanks again

][V][ a N i C

just1fixxx

Post by just1fixxx » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:31 am

me and my guitarist send cakewalk files over msn messenger. just be sure that the file is saved as a cakewalk bundle (bun. file) if you want it to open up all tracked out (separate tracks). only down fall is it is kinda slow. takes me bout 40 min to an hour to DL it and we both have RR. but i guess it is still easier than burning it and driving over to his house and back.