Disk to 70% and audio drop out

Use this forum for all technical issues.
greg

Post by greg » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:30 am

CPU=2700+
Ram=3200 1G
Storage=Raid 0 ATA266
There is no possible way that my hardware could be the issue. The benchmarks I have completed are incredible.
So if I am running a storage bus speed of 266 how is it possible to have the disk go to 70% and then drop out?
Not truly a hard disk issue. The disk % at the bottom of the dialog box is a little misleading.
Go to:
Options
Audio
Advanced
File
Enable read caching
Enable read caching
Set IO buffer size to its max of 2048
It is a software issue.
I achieved this error with 13 tracks of audio 24bit 96khz
Now that I have apparently fixed the issue by increasing the buffer size, what happens when I go to 24 tracks?

1) Will I need to go beyond this IO buffer size max of 2048?

2)Is the IO buffer ram or virtual disk?
If virtual disk can it be changed to ram?

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:56 pm

Greg,

I recently had a very similar issue. I bought a MOTU 2048 mk III, and was only able to record 8-12 channels. I tried everything in Sonar! Very frustrating (especially for my drummer who was waiting patiently).

First things first...Turn off the enable read and write caching in Sonar. This just really messed with everything...

The fix I found (problem of which I think was the PCI bus temporarily starving because of my VIA chipset) was to turn the HDD write caching ON, but in the HDD properties.

In XP, goto the device manager and the HDD properties, then the Policies tab. Enable write caching there. After I did this, I could reset my buffer sizes (lower) and never had another disk dropout.

I haven't gone back to check my new max track record count though.

Hope this helps,
Rick

oops

Post by oops » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:55 am

set buffersize to 128,, set latency slider up on your soundcard or in the audio part of Sonar to a higher level... 30mls or more if you have more than a few tracks.. This is a bitch with softsynths but with a bit of planning its not so bad... You should be able to get latency free recording if you have a breakout box inputs, if not you should have your playback go to a small outboard mixer, record to the mixer send the out put of the new track from the mixer back to sonar and you have latency free recording with a higher latency set on your soundcard.. Good luck :P

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:17 am

I could be mistaken, but a 2408MkIII only does 8 tracks simul. @ 24/96. This could be your problem!