HELP ME! DRUMS ARE SOUND LIKE AN *ORGAN*!!!

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
musichick

Post by musichick » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:59 am

Hi I'm new to the cakewalk scene. Well, relatively. I used to have it on my old computer, but now that I've got a new computer...I've installed a more recent version (Cakewalk Pro Audio 9), got a keyboard hooked up to the computer... and the drum tracks are playing as an *organ* sound. It's coming through the keyboard. I'm on midi channel ten, standard drum channel...and it's still doing it.
What could be wrong?

andychap

Post by andychap » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:07 am

Depends on what keyboard you have, try them on Channel 16, some keyboards are funny like that.

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:27 pm

Any chance you have an organ sound on channel 10 somewhere else in the sequence?

Is your keyboard set up to receive messages from Cakewalk?

Is it in a "multi" type mode and not performance mode?

Are your other tracks playing abck correctly?

musichik_nz

Post by musichik_nz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:17 am

hmmm good point about the other tracks...nothing plays correctly! Whatever sound I choose, it will choose something else whacky...
And no I don't think the keyboard is set up to work with Cakewalk... but it just seems kind of weird that it worked on the old computer with an older version of Cakewalk, but not now...

The keyboard is pretty random: Technics KN470

And how do I check if it's multi or performance mode?

Special-K

Post by Special-K » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:29 am

Sounds like you might need to import your instrument definition from your old Cakewalk setup to the new one.

Or search for the definition on Cakewalk's website.

If its not the deifinition then I agree with earlier comments made about the track containing an instrument change

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:14 pm

Sounds like it's definitley a keyboard setup issue. I would try running a general midi sequence and see if you can get that playing first.

I would consult your Techniques manual. You should look for 'Configuring for use with an external sequenser' or something of that sort. Machines vary tremendesly and I really can't tell you what buttons to push to get it working. I would suggest shutting local control off and trying to find a midi or system screen that would show if you are transmiting one (single) or several (multi) midi channels.

Is your setup consisting of just one synth? If so it will probably not be too difficult to get working. A few hours of pulling your hair out and you'll be good to go!

One book you may want to consider is Midi For the Professional by Paul Lehrner. Great inexpensive easy to read book that can really come in handy in situations like these. I have had mine for close to a decade and consult it often. I think it';s about $25.00, although half.com may have it for less.

A point is made about instryument definitions, remember these are just names (ie definitions) and will have no bearing on opperation, they just make finding patches easier.

musichik_nz

Post by musichik_nz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:49 am

@(#&@!(#&!(@#& You wouldn't *believe* what the answer is!

Drums are playing through CHANNEL 15.
How much more random can you get? :p
I found it by sheer LUCK.
I'm not sure if the problem is completely solved, but we shall see. Thanks for the help everyone. GLAH. (Channel 15?!?! WHY?!?! No, seriously...WHY?!?!?)