SONAR 2.2XL: Problems with audio playback/recording

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
sean

Post by sean » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:23 pm

Hi Everyone -

Specs:

Windows XP, Sonar 2.2 XL
AMD 2600+ XP on an MSI K7N2 Delta-L
Dual Channel 1024MB of DDR
M-Audio Delta 66/OmniStudio
SoundBlaster Live!
(both soundcards installed... I use the SoundBlaster for the MIDI port to my keyboard, unfortunately the M-Audio card doesn't have one :( )

1) Audio playback is slow, choppy, and erratic. Whenever I try to play an imported .wav file, it plays it at a way slower tempo with a sort of echo and choppiness to it. The CPU usage is low and it doesn't drop out, it just plays it weird. I tried using both sound cards for the output but I get the same results. It plays the MIDI perfectly fine though.

2) When I'm trying to record audio there is a LAG between what I play (keyboard) or say (MIC) and what I hear through the speakers. When I monitor myself through the output there's no way I can record singing or playing correctly because of the lag. I hit the key and 1 second later I'll hear it come out of the speaker. In addition, when I try to play back what I recorded, I run into problem #1 above.

I'm not sure if the two problems are related, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are.

Please Help!!

Thanks!!!!

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:41 pm

Go into Options menu > Audio. Make sure that all the drop down windows and driver lists have your Delta 66 card showing.

Run the wave profiler and see what the latency slider is set at. To get rid of the delay the slider needs to be set low (20ms or below). Try recording and audio playback, if it is choppy or distorted then you will have to increase the slider, if it is OK then keep lowering the slider until you get as low as you can without the audio distorting.

If you can't get the slider below 10ms then I would suggest you check to see if you have the latest drivers (remember what's in the box is not necessarily the latest.

At the earliest opportunity get rid of the SB live, it could be conflicting with the delta. You could input you keyboard through USB.

sean

Post by sean » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:04 pm

Great thank you for the advice!

sean

Post by sean » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:58 pm

I removed the SoundBlaster Live card and am using a USB midiport for my keyboard and everything is perfectly fine now! thanks again!