SONAR 2 - I can't play midi files

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
damyhonn

Post by damyhonn » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:32 am

In my control panel sound configuration, the default midi device is "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth"...
there are two devices: this "Microsoft GS Wavetable..." and "MPU401"...
but in Sonar 2 "MIDI Devices" configuration I can't use "Microsoft GS Wavetable...", only "MPU401" for INPUT and OUTPUT...
but I don't hear anything in midi at Sonar...

Does anybody can help me???

thanks...

PS.: sorry about my english, I'm brazilian...

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:50 pm

Try running the wave profiler again just in case you soundcard isn't set up properly.

To be honest the sound quality of the MS GS wavetable and those type of devices are pretty poor.

Does sonar 2 come with the Edirol VSC, i know the XL version does. If it does then play all your midi files through that. It is much better sound quality.

damyhonn

Post by damyhonn » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:22 pm

Oh thank you andychap...
but I'm not a sonar expert yet :) ... and can you tell me how can I run the wave profiler? and how can I use this Edirol VSC?
I have sonar 2 XL...

thank you again!!

Damyhonn Paulino

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:58 pm

Hi,

Wave profiler first. Options Menu > Audio > General. Little button bottom left of page.

VSC: Insert menu > DXi Synth > locate the Edirol VSC and select it. > click OK on the next screen.

Highlight all the tracks in the midi file you want to play. Track menu > properties > output > select the Edirol VSC in the drop down box.

When you press play you will hear your track through your PC speakers or whatever you have connected to your soundcard.

Basically what you are doing is routing your midi signal to the VSC which actually plays it as audio, you will have seen a couple of audio tracks appear when you opened the VSC.

If you are happy with how it sounds you can then bounce down to audio in the edit menu ready to export it as a wave file and burn to CD.

There you go basic Sonar from beginning to end :D