New to it all - need advice please!

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Adagio

Post by Adagio » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:42 pm

Hi, I am just starting out with recording music ( as a hobby). At this point in time I am totally confused as to which hardware and software to get. Because it is only a hooby I don't need "flagship" stuff, but, I would hate
to have to battle with the hardware and software.
I am running Windiow XP Pro on a Pentium IIII machine with 512 MB RAM.
I am thinking of getting the Audiophile 2496 Audio Card and using it with Home Studio 2002 or 2004.
Will this combination be ok. (No latency problems ??!!).
I plan to create the files in MIDI format and then, once I am satisfied with the end result I would like to transfer it to CD.
I will appreciate any help !!

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:27 pm

You certainly have the right idea about what you want to do. The Audiophile is an excellant card but it is audio only and has no onboard midi sounds. Whatever you create as midi will have to be played through a softsynth but with the latest drivers for that soundcard it will no be a problem, latency will me minimal. Standard midi sounds are fine at the compositiona; stage but you will probaly prefer better sounds when you come to creaate your CD.

I would suggest that you might go for HS 2004 XL, you will find the extra DXi instruments will greatly inprove the quality of your sounds and with the amount of DX and VST instruments available both commercially and free you will have a large library to play with. Anything played through a softsynth can just be bounced to audio in the fraction of the time it takes to record.

You will also need some sort of sound system to listen to what you do, either active monitors, passive monitors and amp or at the very least a decent stereo Hi Fi. Don't be tempted to use PC speakers even if they do sound good because you CDs won't when you come to play them on a normal system.

Don't forget you will need a keyboard or controller keyboard and if you plan on recording acoustic intruments or vocal a decent dynamic mic at the least.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Adagio

Post by Adagio » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:05 pm

Thank you very much for the help - you have already answered some ,of my questions.
I do have a keyboard (Roland E35) and also a SD35 Midi file player.
I suppose this will be ok. for generatng sound when I play back ? In other words, can I not just play back through the keybard which is in turn connected to a Hi-Fi amp and speakers ?

Cheers !

andychap

Post by andychap » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:58 am

Adagio wrote:Thank you very much for the help - you have already answered some ,of my questions.
I do have a keyboard (Roland E35) and also a SD35 Midi file player.
I suppose this will be ok. for generatng sound when I play back ? In other words, can I not just play back through the keybard which is in turn connected to a Hi-Fi amp and speakers ?

Cheers !
Yes you can play back through your keyboard but this will only be basic midi using the sounds on your keyboard.

For audio or anything playedback through a DX instrument you will need to also connect you hi fi amp and speakers to the line out of the soundcard. If your amp has multiple inputs then it's only one more cable.