Sonar3, Will It work on 700MHZ

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Here's a dumb question, will sonar 3 work on a PC with a 700MHZ processor and 586M's Ram? I read on CW site that it required a min. of 800MHZ and preffered a 1.0 Gig processor. Has anyone installed it on a slower PC with any luck?
Thanks
CC :roll:

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:27 pm

:D Well to answer my own question Sonar 3 did install without a hitch and seems to perform quite well! To be safe I backed up everything and went ahead and tried it, I do how ever turn off everything that does not need to be running. To do this run the msconfig utility and there should be adequate resources. Hope this help someone :o

andychap

Post by andychap » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:46 pm

How does XP run on your 700mhz PC compared to 98. I have been putting off upgrading to XP with my 850 PIII in case it slowed it down. If it runs OK I might be tempted by XP and Sonar 3.

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:05 pm

I had Window ME and it was a resource HOG. I went to 98SE to get a more stable system but it lacked features of Windows ME. I got sick of the crashes and constant time spent on fixing software woe's and drivers getting corrupted, and liked what I saw Of Windows XP a friend had on her PC. So I opted for Windows XP, it was the best thing I could have done! :D I have NOT had any CRASHES nor freeze up's or any resource problems with XP! :D XP manages all that extremely well. Other than the update of Direct X 9.0b causing a install problem with Sonar 2.0 which was fixed by editing the registry, I can do nothing but praise Windows XP :D I did how ever up the RAM to 586MB as XP requires 128MB of RAM. So, Andy go for it you will be glad you did!
Have A Great Weekend!
CC

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:48 pm

I think with Christmas coming up, I might start dropping hints to the wife and see if Santa delivers me nice XP :D

Composer_Chick

Post by Composer_Chick » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:25 pm

Good Luck!
Be sure to leave Mrs. Claus a note, so you don't get a foot warmer instead. :lol: I found leaving a note with a specific item of desire works wonders, it avoids getting you another bottle of cologne to add to your five year inventory! :o
Have A Great Day!
CC

GretscGuy

Post by GretscGuy » Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:11 pm

If I were running in the 600-900Mhz range I would opt for Windows 2000 over XP. I ran my old system (950Mhz 512 RAM) with ME (factory) then 98 then 2000. 2000 was certainley the most stable of the two. Plus you can have ntfs drives.

I am now running XP Pro on my new system (P4 2.8Ghz, 3gig Ram) for two reasons.

1- Hyperthreading. Sonar 3 takes advantage of this new Pentium 4 process. You can read about it at Intel.com. Very cool idea but if your CPU doesn't support it, it's not worth going to XP for.

2- XP supports large ammounts of ram. 3gig of ram would be useless under W2000. I wanted lots of memory and the only was to get it was under XP.

If you do go to XP, I have heard that pro and home are pretty much equals aside from some networking features, not sure if this is accurate. I bought my legal copy of xp pro off of ebay for $100.00 so it was less than the store or microsoft, definitley check out this option.

Installation was a breeze. I custom built this pc for audio use and didn't have one single problem in the entire process. I'm still surprised by this. The system is stable but the fan is loud, still working around this.

I still love Windows 2000. On the system you describe, that's what I would reccomend. It is very stable and a lot smaller than XP.