Bank Selection Problems - Cakewalk to Roland GR-1

Use this forum to discuss Midi Issues as they relate to Cakewalk.
betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:32 am

I use Cakewalk 4.01 ...

I need help with getting access too all 400 tones in my GR-1 synth from Cakewalk via midi. According to the GR-1 operations manual, I need to initiate a bank change (controller 0) change from 0 thru 3 and a program change from 1 to 128 to get the corresponding sound. I've tried everything that I can think of and all I can get are the first 128 instruments.

I've read the Cakewalk and Roland GR-1 manuals, tried the instrument assign instructions on the Cakewalk site - nothing works.

Any kind of ideas would help. Thanks ...

andychap

Post by andychap » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:41 am

Have you tried loading the instrument definition file which you can down load from here http://www.cakewalknet.com/instrumentdefinitionseng.htm

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:15 am

Andy:

Thanks for the reply. I tried that at one time but could not get it to work. I can't recall the reason why.

I will try it again and let you know what happens ....

poprep

Post by poprep » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:49 pm

hi man. i'm a big fan of roland. and cake too. anyway, i'm quite familiar with the soundcanvasses and i use control change 0 0 and cc 32 0 to used the gs sounds. i don't know if it works with grs. just remember without the cc 32 0 you cannot change the program. so expiriment. example: 1 cc 0 3 and 1 cc 32 0(1st number is the channel number). or 1 cc 0 0 and 1 cc 32 3. i guess it will go to variation 3.

webhunter

Post by webhunter » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:01 am

You won't be able to access the tones if you don't have the expansion card.

And note that you must assign the tones to patches before you can play them.

Tormod

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:06 am

Thankx for the replies - I've been away for a while ....

I did download the instrument definition files for the GR-1 and got further than I have ever gotten - but still no cigar ....

I now have 4 different banks available to assign to my tracks and do so but the only instruments that play are on bank 1 regardless. It would seem like a control change 0 is not being sent. I was wondering if I had to set the control change on the GR-1 for the appropriate track, which would be a pain. I assumed that selecting the bank in Cakewalk and assigning it to a track would initiate the control 0. I don't know though. The bottom line is I don't think the control is being sent from Cakewalk to the GR-1 and I can't figure out how to do it. I experimented around a bit but that was a month ago and I can't remember what I did ...

I do have the expansion card. I'm not sure why a tone would have to be assinged to a patch. Could you elaborate? I can select any of the 400 tones in the GR-1 now and then play them via a fatar midi controller ...

I would appreciate any more suggestions. I'll play around with this for many days, get frustrated, and forget about it for months on end. Would be greate to have a solution ....

Again, thanks for your help ....