Sonar 3 High CPU Usage

This forum is dedicated to Sonar discussions.
derose

Post by derose » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:46 pm

I just got Sonar 3 and it has UNBELIEVABLY high CPU usage. Granted, what i'm mixing is filled with effects and it's about 40 tracks or so, but this was not the case with 2.2. Sonar 2.2 ran this project at about 14% cpu usage. Sonar 3 goes up to 70%! All of the Audio settings are almost identical (i only changed a few to try to get the cpu usage DOWN).

Also when I have that project open (and others with a lot of tracks) it video is choppy. It doesn't scroll around the screen smooth at all.

Anyone else have trouble like this? Could it POSSIBLY be because it's a Sonar 2 project that i'm now opening in Sonar 3? Any ideas?

-James

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:54 pm

8)
Drop your latency setting in Sonar, that should cure the problem.

Sonar 3 should not use any more cpu power than sonar 2 if you haven't changed anything in your project.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:56 pm

Sorry, Change "drop" to increase.

oops

cpu

Post by oops » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:07 pm

Look. There is no question about high cpu intensive everything when recording audio. Pc's never wanted to have this job. They hate it actually. They are all about numbers, and littlebitty ones and zero's. Get a faster cpu. Period. A 2 gig Barton (2500+) is about 80 bucks these days. It will get you about 100 tracks of audio. You won't even have to look at the cpu meter any more.
I run a 2800+ 333 with a ton of memory on an nforce2 board. I overclocked to run at 2.4 gigs. This is a very stable machine, and can be had at a fraction of the cost it was to me just six months ago. So again. Buy a faster cpu. Sonar wasn't meant to be run on anything less. Hope this helps.
http://www.rightwingproductions.com

derose

Post by derose » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:01 pm

i have a 2.4GHz P4 right now. . .are you saying that's too slow???. . .that's NUTS

cso

Post by cso » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:44 pm

me, too! I have same problem when I load edirol hyper canvas, orchestra, etc., onto Sonar 2.2 XL. CPU meter spikes from 4-7% to 89% ++; I even see cpu warning; then laptop crashes. I wasn't sure if it was because I have an old laptop - my CPU's 733 MHz - but doesn't look like that's the problem seeing that yours is 2.4GHz...I've tweaked it too, but i'm new to all this, so I not sure if I've done all i can...
Needless to say, sound isn't good, and serious latency problems result

oops

Post by oops » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:28 pm

derose wrote:i have a 2.4GHz P4 right now. . .are you saying that's too slow???. . .that's NUTS
If you are getting dropouts with the amount of plugs you are using in whatever it is that you use; whether it be 2.2 or 3, then you need a faster cpu. Why blame the software guy if you've loaded up the sequencer for bear and expect it to perform past it's expectations. You probably need just to open the control panel for your soundcard, and up the latency slider to max. This will get you more tracks if you haven't found that out yet. If you have then, like I said you need a faster cpu to handle more work of dealing with all the plugs you have going.
I can run 100 tracks of audio without a dropout if my latency slider is all the way up to 70mls(asio), as soon as I start adding plugs, all bets are off.
I expect to get 24 tracks all my plugs running in realtime etc to finish a project, and with my setup which is also a 2.4 (amd nforce2) I usually can.
After that with plugs etc.. When I get there I'll buy a faster cpu. That for me will ultimately be an amd 64 socket 393??? when they come out in six months or so... Soooooo
No Im not nutty.. just realistic about what you can expect from your hardware...
Ps... PDC in vst plugs with the new patch for cakewalk has made my mixes a lot smoother.

andychap

Post by andychap » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:51 pm

The fixes mentioned in this thread http://www.cakewalkforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=234 can help fix cpu spikes. The second one that I posted is to do with sudden demand on CPU usage by your graphics card. This is the most common reason for crashes.