Dumb newbie, dumb question about recording multiple tracks

The place for Cakewalk beginners to discuss everything Cakewalk.
Vibrovox

Post by Vibrovox » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:56 pm

Hands up, I'm a dope so please could someone spell this one out to me??

I import a drum loop, Ctrl 'L' it and get it looping nicely. (Audio track 1)

I plug my guitar in to a POD and stick the Line Out into my soundcard line in. I can hear it playing through Audio track 2 and the little VU lights are flickering nicely.

I record track 2 (while playing the drum loop) and, you've guessed it, track 2 records both the guitar and the drum loop. I just want it to record the guitar by itself.

Do I need 2 soundcards (one to play the playback and one to plug my recording instrument into?).

I've tried assigning the outputs to different places (like, A,B or C) but all three of those point to my one and only soundcard.

Vibrovox

Post by Vibrovox » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm

Actually I just saw another posting about the Soundcard settings (What U Hear .. and all that). I'll see if I can do that (gawd knows how in XP ... but I'll give it a go).

lespauljr

Post by lespauljr » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:32 pm

I got frustrated with this step and acquired a small mixing board and a four track cassette deck. I cannot wait for someone knowledgeable to reply here and let both of us know what the CORRECT approach is. :wink:

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:55 am

Now idea if this is the "correct" answer!

I suspect your Recording Control is set to "What you Hear". If you change this to Line In you should just record the guitar track on your second audio track.

This is how I would do it...

Start|Programs|Accessories|Entertainment|VolumeControl

Click Options|Properties then choose the Recording button. This will display the recording controls. Tick the Line In tick box.

I hope this helps.

SAGA

Post by SAGA » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:43 pm

The previous solution is definitely the correct one. If you want to sample and record anything thats playing over your soundcard (including movies, music in WMP, CDs, etc.) you set it to 'what you hear', and 'line in' for external sources. This makes sampling from CDs and movies alot easier, without having to involve any unnecessary external hardware like 4-track mixers. Depending on the age of your souncard, this setting may be 'microphone' instead, which is a good setting to use if your actually using a mic without a pre-amp as it can sometimes boost the recording volume.

That being said, on audio each track within sonar you can specify what particular input you want from you soundcard. Since most souncards have several inputs these days, you could route a separate external source into separate inputs and record them all independently and simultaneously. Just change the 'Input' tab to you rinput of choice. This works well for bands and such. Hope that helped.